General Application Guidelines
- Admission requires the D.M.D. or equivalent degree from an accredited institution.
- A "B" average or ranking in the upper third of the graduating class and National Dental Board Exam scores of 85 or higher are expected.
- Only those application packets that are complete and received by the deadline are forwarded to the program director for consideration.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to see that all materials are submitted and that their file is complete.
- Apply early!
Though the department will review all complete applications, generally only those with the following criteria will be seriously considered. Please note that applicants with an exceptional background or relevant post-doctoral experience may also be considered for admission.
Applicants MUST possess:
- United States citizenship or permanent residency
- A degree in dental surgery (i.e. DDS or DMD) from an accredited US, Canadian, or Puerto Rican dental school
The most qualified applicants should possess:
- Scores in the 90th percentile on Part I and Part II (where taken) of the American Dental Association National Board Examination
- Standing in the upper 20% of the dental school class
- Strong letters of recommendation
- Externships and/or extracurricular activity in oral and maxillofacial surgery that demonstrates an interest and committment to the field
Criteria which may substantiate and strengthen the candidate's aplication include:
- Research experience and advanced degrees
- Post-doctoral dental training (e.g. internships, general practice residency, advanced education in general dentistry)*
*Note: applicants are expected to complete any committment to such a program before matriculating into the OMFS residency program (dentoalveolar, trauma reconstruction, and implant placement procedures).
All Applicants must submit the following materials:
- Complete PASS application. PASS fees are as follows:
- Base application processing fee (one program, one essay): $185
- Additional programs: $65 each
- Additional essays: $35 each
- Additional designations: $65 for each program designation after your original application mailing.
- Non-refundable application fee of $125.00 payable to "Case School of Dental Medicine". A CWRU School of Dental Medicine application may be submitted in lieu of the PASS application for those applicants who only plan to apply to CWRU for a fee of $140.00
- Official undergraduate transcripts.
- Official dental school transcripts (may be submitted to PASS).
- A current CV (equivalent may be submitted to PASS).
- An offical NBDE score report (may be submitted to PASS).
- Match number (may be submitted to PASS).
- Three letters of recommendation from basic science and clinical dentistry instructors or other individuals competent to evaluate your qualifications and abilities. A Dean's letter may be counted as one of the three (may be submitted to PASS).
Notice to Re-Applicants
Applications to our programs are kept on file for two years. In order to re-activate your application, you must send an email to the office of Graduate Studies (email@example.com) stating your desire to re-apply to a program. You must also pay a $125 application fee.
All materials not sent through PASS should be sent to our office:
Office of Graduate Studies
Case School of Dental Medicine
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106-4905 USA
Early applications are recommended. Incomplete applications will not be sent to the program director for review.