General Application Guidelines
- Applicants to the two-year full-time program must have a DDS, DMD, or equivalent degree from an accredited institution.
- Applicants to the one year full-time or two year part-time program must have a DDS, DMD, or equivalent degree and an MPH or equivalent degree; the latter should be from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the Council on Education for Public Health. Applicants with an MPH from another institution will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The applicant should possess a good record of scholastic achievement that would indicate success in the dental public health training program.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend a personal interview, when time and/or distance permit. The decision to conduct interviews will be made after a review of the completed applications by the admissions committee of the program.
- Only those application packets that are complete and received by the deadline will be forwarded to the program director for consideration.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all materials are submitted promptly and that the file is complete.
- OSHA, CDC, ADA, and CWRU School of Dental Medicine recommendations and/or regulations require that all health-care workers be familiar with the infection control policies mandated by the Infection Control Manual. Students must follow policies detailed in the Case Infection Control Manual at all times, whether in the clinics or laboratories. The policies can be found at: http://dental.case.edu/students/clinics/ICM.pdf.
- Apply early!
All Applicants must submit the following materials:
- Completed application form.
- Applicants to the two-year full-time program must also complete a separate application form for the MPH program, which can be found at http://mph.case.edu/apply.html.
- Personal Statement discussing educational goals and career objectives
- Non-refundable application fee of $145.00 payable at http://dental.case.edu/graduate/payfee. When prompted for a PASS #, please use the first three letters of your first name and first three letters of your last name for identification purposes.
- Official undergraduate transcripts.
- Official dental school transcripts. Successful applicants must have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4-point scale.
- Official graduate school transcripts, if applicable. Successful applicants must have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4-point scale.
- A current Curriculum Vitae.
- An official copy of NBDE or GRE scores.
- Three evaluation forms from previous instructors or public health professionals; a Dean's letter may be counted as one of the three.
- International students must also submit: (a) TOEFL scores* (b) a letter of financial support and (c) an evaluation of all their transcripts by the Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
- Re-applicants must submit a new application and pay all fees.
*International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores are acceptable in lieu of a TOEFL score. To be considered for dental public health residency program, an applicant must have one of the following minimum scores:
- TOEFL Paper-Based Test: 550
- TOEFL Computer-Based Test: 213
- TOEFL Internet-Based Test: 90
- IELTS Test: 6.5
The TOEFL identification number for Case Western Reserve University is: 1105
The Department code for the School of Dental Medicine is: 38
Applicants should have a passing grade in the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE). If an applicant has not taken the NBDE, s/he is required to submit the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores.
All materials should be sent to our office:
Office of Graduate Studies
CWRU School of Dental Medicine
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106-4905 USA
Early applications are recommended. Incomplete applications will not be sent to the program director for review.