We apologize for any incorrect information regarding the availability of stipends. If you have questions about the availability of stipends, please contact the program director for your respective program of interest.
General Application Guidelines
- Admission requires the D.M.D. or equivalent degree from an accredited institution.
- A "B" average or ranking in the upper third of the graduating class and National Dental Board Exam scores of 85 or higher are expected.
- Only those application packets that are complete and received by the deadline are forwarded to the program director for consideration.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to see that all materials are submitted and that their file is complete.
- Apply early!
All Applicants must submit the following materials:
- Complete PASS application. PASS fees are as follows:
- Base application processing fee (one program, one essay): $185
- Additional programs: $65 each
- Additional essays: $35 each
- Additional designations: $65 for each program designation after your original application mailing.
- Non-refundable application fee of $145.00 payable to "CWRU School of Dental Medicine". A CWRU School of Dental Medicine application may be submitted in lieu of the PASS application for those applicants who only plan to apply to CWRU.
- Official undergraduate transcripts.
- Official dental school transcripts (may be submitted to PASS).
- A current CV (equivalent may be submitted to PASS).
- An offical NBDE score report (may be submitted to PASS).
- Match number (may be submitted to PASS).
- Three letters of recommendation from basic science and clinical dentistry instructors or other individuals competent to evaluate your qualifications and abilities. A Dean's letter may be counted as one of the three (may be submitted to PASS).
- Photograph (optional at this time)
- International students must also submit: (a) TOEFL scores, and (b) a letter of financial support
Notice to Re-Applicants
Applications to our programs are kept on file for two years. In order to re-activate your application, you must send an email to the office of Graduate Studies (firstname.lastname@example.org) stating your desire to re-apply to a program. You must also pay a $25 application fee.
Additional Requirements for International Students
Applicants who have graduated from a non-English speaking dental school and for whom English is not their first language must take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). We do accept a score reported from IELTS in lieu of a TOEFL score. In order to be admitted, the applicant must score above one of the following minimum scores:
- TOEFL Paper-Based Test: 550
- TOEFL Computer-Based Test: 213
- TOEFL Internet-Based Test: 90
- IELTS Test: 6.5
The TOEFL identification number for Case Western Reserve University is: 1105
The Department code for the School of Dental Medicine is: 38
There is no financial aid given to international students enrolled in the M.S.D. programs. A letter of "proof of support" must be submitted when a student is accepted into a program. Applicants must establish that they have available financial resources sufficient to complete the program uninterrupted. All on-campus work-study employment for international students must be cleared by the individual program director and the University Office of International Students.
We recommend that applicants to all our graduate programs take the National Board Dental Exams and score at least an 85 on both parts. In many cases, and especially in the case of foreign-trained applicants, applicants have not taken this test. In this case, we require scores from another standardized test, such as the GRE, though the most qualified candidates will have taken the NBDE.
All materials not sent through PASS should be sent to our office:
Case Western Reserve University
Office of Graduate Studies
School of Dental Medicine
2124 Cornell Road
Cleveland, OH 44106-4905 USA
Early applications are recommended. Incomplete applications will not be sent to the program director for review.