The School of Dental Medicine is enormously proud of its students and is honored to share in their successes.
Presentations and Abstracts
Abstracts for the publications below can be found by searching on the title using the NIH PubMed database. Links to the full articles can be found by accessing PubMed through the CWRU Health Sciences Library: Click on the PubMed link in the left-hand navigation bar of the CHSL home page here. You may need to enter your Case ID and password to proceed if the journal requires a subscription to view the article.
- Jasinevicius TR, Curd FM, Shilling L, Sadan A. Shade Matching Abilities of Dental Laboratory Technicians Using a Commercial Light Source. J Prosthodont 2009;18:60-3
- Victoroff KZ, Schneider K, Perry C. Tomorrow's Leaders, Starting Today: A Pilot Leadership Development for Dental Students. Journal of Dental Education 2009; 73:311-318.
- Victoroff KZ, Schneider K, Perry C. Leadership Development for Dental Students: What Do Students Think? Journal of Dental Education 2008; 72(9): 982-988.
- Halley MC, Lalumandier JA, Walker J, Houston J. A Regional Survey of Dentists' Preferences for Hiring a Dental Associate. Journal of American Dental Association. 139 (7): 973-979, July 2008.
- Jasinevicius TR, Pyle MA, Kohrs KJ, Majors J, Wanosky LA. Prophylactic Third Molar Extractions: US Dental Schools' Recommendations from 1998/99 to 2004/05. Quintessence Int 2008 39;165-176.
- Hildebrand, JC, Palomo, JM, Palomo, L., Sivik, M., Hans, MG. Evaluation of an ABO Objective Grading System Software on Digital Casts. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2008 Feb;133(2):283-9
- Demko CA, Halley MC, Lalumandier JA, Stange KC, Patel J. Knowledge and Attitudes of Ohio Family Physicians: Oral Health Promotion. The Ohio Family Physician. 59:44-49, 2007.
- Ghosh SK, Gerken TA, Schneider KM, Feng Z, McCormick TS, Weinberg A. Quantification of Human B-Defensin-2 and -3 In Body Fluids: Application For Studies Of Innate Immunity. Clin Chem, 53: 757-765, 2007.
- AK Mickel, S Chogle, J Liddle, K Huffaker, JJ Jones. The Role of Apical Size Determination and Enlargement in the Reduction of Intracanal Bacteria. J Endod. Jan 2007; 33(1)21-3.
- AK Mickel, S Chogle, R Bingham, M Self, J Bogle. A Correlation Study of Occlusal and Pulp Chamber Anatomy: The Mandibular First Molar (Part II). Gen Dent 2007;55(3)221-3.
- S Chogle, AK Mickel, D Chan, K Huffaker, JJ Jonez. Intracanal Assessment of Mineral Trioxide Aggregate Setting and Sealing Properties. Gen Dent 2007;55(4)306-11.
- S Chogle, AK Mickel, M Self, A Wright. A Correlation Study of Occlusal and Pulp Chamber Anatomy: The Maxillary First Molar. Gen Dent 2007;44(3)218-20.
Awards and Recognition
- Nicole Apollon Chirouze, First Honors, First Poster Award: SCADA Award for Table Clinic Presentations, Professionals Day 2012. The recipient will be CWRU School of Dental Medicine's representative to the annual session of the American Dental Association to be held in San Francisco, CA on October 18-21 at the Moscone Convention Center.
- Velizar Petrov, First Podium Award: Guenther M. Hans Award for Presentation from Platform, Professionals Day 2012
- Robert Appel, Second Award: OKU, Professionals Day 2012
- Nate Buckner, Brian Cope, and Michael Davis, Second Honors: Basic, Clinical or Community Science Presentation, Professionals Day 2012
- Ryan Reese, DMD, 1st Place, Dr. Nabil Bissada Graduate Student Award, Professionals Day 2012
- Ahmed Alzahran, DDS, MSD, 2nd Place, Dr. Nabil Bissada Graduate Student Award, Professionals Day 2012
- Adam Kaiser and Brian Leech, First Honors, SCADA Award for Table Clinic Presentations, Professionals Day 2011 – "The Marginal Mandibular Nerve in Relation to the Inferior Border of the Mandible"
- Jennifer Sanders, First Honors, Guenther M. Hans Award for Presentations from Platform, Professionals Day 2011 – "Dental Hygienists Awareness and Support for Existing and New Midlevel Providers"
- Julia Salmeron, First Honors, OKU Student Research Award, Professionals Day 2011 – "Characterization of the Salivary Proteome/Peptidome in Diabetics and Healthy Controls"
- Boonyapa Purt, Second Honors, Basic Science Presentation, Professionals Day 2011 – "Susceptibility of Gut Fusobacterium Nucleatum Isolate to Human Beta Defensin 2 and 3"
- Myeshia Edgerton, Second Honors, Clinical Science Presentation, Professionals Day 2011 – "Birth Factors and Tooth Eruption in a Cohort of Pre-Term Very Low Birth Weight Infants"
- Ana Luiza Arruda, Vibeke K. Nygaard Award, Professionals Day 2011 – "Physician Attitudes Regarding Oral Health in Diabetes Care"
- Poonam Solanski, Dr. Nabil Bissada Graduate Student Award, Professionals Day 2011 – "Effect of Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), An Omega-3 Fatty Acid on the Expression of IL-Iβ, IL-6, IL-8, and TNFα in Normal and LPS Treated MG-63 Human Osteoblasts and THP-I Monocytes Using Reverse Transcriptase-PCR"
- Geoffrey Barnum, First Prize Winner, Poster Presentation, 2010 CWRU Research ShowCASE – "Utilization of Cone Beam CT Imaging to Volumetrically Assess Alveolar Cleft Defects". Abstract
- Kyo Min Choo, Third Prize Winner, Poster Presentation, 2010 CWRU Research ShowCASE – "Influences on Bond Strength of Orthodontic Brackets". Abstract
- Daniel Morris, "Addressing Oral and Systemic Health Issues in Community Dental Clinics" profiled in The Value of Research 2009-2010. Article
- Ryan Reese, Interschool Research Award, Indiana University School of Dentistry Research Day 2009, "Evaluation of Nanocomposite Incorporation into a Novel Endodontic Retrofill Material" Abstract
- Danae Willenberg, "Linking Oral Hyperpigmentation and Immune Status" profiled in The Value of Research 2008-2009. Article
- Danae Willenberg, Third Prize Winner, Poster Presentation, 2009 CWRU Research ShowCASE – "Linking Oral Hyperpigmentation and Immune Status"
- Jacob Witer, "Analyzing Genetic Variations in Defensin Genes" profiled in The Value of Research 2007-2008. Article
- Ashley Gibbs, 2009 American Dental Education Association (ADEA)/Johnson and Johnson Preventive Dentistry Scholarship
- Anvi Maru, 2009 American Dental Education Association (ADEA)/Johnson and Johnson Preventive Dentistry Scholarship
- Ashley Gibbs, 2008 Johnson and Johnson Preventive Care Scholarship Award
- Ashley Gibbs, 2008 DENTSPLY/Caulk, American Association of Dental Research Finalist, "Bisphosphonate-related ONJ: A Survey of Oncologists"
- Ami Maru, Honorable Mention, Poster Presentation, 2008 CWRU Research ShowCASE
- Ami Maru, Winner of the 2008 Dental Student Merit Award from the American Association of Public Health Dentistry
- Jean Felton, Winner of the 2008 American Association for Dental Research Bloc Travel Grant
- Kevin Weitzel, Finalist, 2007 International Association of Dental Research Student Competition, "Maxillary Sinus Measurements Using CBCT Technology"
- Anita Bhavnani, 2007 American Dental Associaten (ADEA)/Colgate Prevention in Research Award
- Anita Bhavnani, 2007 American Dental Associaten (ADEA)/Listerine Preventive Dentistry Award
- Anita Bhavnani, Honorable Mention, Poster Presentation, 2007 CWRU Research ShowCASE